The AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship is a prestigious opportunity designed for high-achieving international students who aspire to pursue a Bachelor’s Degree in the United States. This scholarship program, hosted by American University in Washington DC, aims to support students dedicated to creating positive civic and social change, particularly in under-resourced and underserved communities within their home countries.
American University, Washington DC, USA
Eligible Fields of Study
The AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship encompasses all undergraduate programs offered at the university, granting students the freedom to pursue their academic passions and interests.
American University Scholarship Details
Number of Scholarships
Only one (1) scholarship is available under this program, making it highly competitive.
The scholarship is open to international students from any country who do not hold U.S. citizenship, U.S. permanent residency, or dual citizenship with the U.S. and another country.
Scholarship Coverage and Duration
The AU EGL scholarship provides comprehensive coverage for all billable expenses incurred at American University. This includes full tuition, room and board. However, it’s essential to note that non-billable expenses such as mandatory health insurance, textbooks, airline tickets, and miscellaneous costs (approximately U.S. $4,000) are not covered.
This scholarship is renewable for a total of four years of undergraduate study, contingent upon sustained academic excellence.
Eligibility Criteria at American University
Preference for the AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship will be given to candidates who meet the following criteria:
1. Overcoming Obstacles
International students who have demonstrated resilience in overcoming various obstacles and challenges.
2. Diversity and Underrepresentation
Candidates from diverse and underrepresented global and socioeconomic backgrounds.
3. Academic Excellence
Applicants should maintain a minimum 3.8 GPA equivalent (or rank in the top 10% of their graduating class) for grades 9th through 12th.
4. Commitment to Community and Leadership
A resolute dedication to spearheading initiatives, actively engaging in volunteer endeavors, tirelessly championing community welfare, and propelling the betterment of their compatriots in their country of origin.
5. Language Proficiency
Applicants are required to satisfy one of the subsequent language proficiency prerequisites:
- TOEFL iBT score of 95 or higher (all subscores must be 20 or above).
- IELTS score of 7.0 or higher (all subscores must be 6.0 or above).
- Minimum SAT Reading Subscore of 33.
- Minimum ACT English score of 29.
- A PTE score of 65 or higher.
- Duolingo score of 120 or higher (all subscores must be 110 or above).
- Cambridge Assessment English score of 185 or higher, with each subscore being 169 or higher.
6. Graduation Timeline
Students who are still enrolled in secondary/high school and are set to graduate by June 2024 are eligible to apply. Additionally:
- International Baccalaureate (IB) system students should plan to graduate with a full IB diploma, including at least 3 Higher Level (HL) subjects.
- British A-Levels system students must complete at least 3 A levels and finish 13 years of study before August 2024.
Prospective applicants should be aware that they are not eligible to apply if they fall into the following categories:
- Individuals who hold U.S. citizenship, those with U.S. permanent residency status, or those who possess dual citizenship involving the United States and another nation are not eligible to apply.
- Enrolled in or have commenced post-secondary studies at another university in their home country or the United States.
- Graduated from secondary school before 2022.
American University Application Process
To be considered for the AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship, applicants must complete the following steps:
- Apply and complete the AU EGLS application.
- You can submit either the widely recognized Common Application or opt for the distinct Coalition Application.
- Complete the international admissions process.
It is crucial to adhere to the application deadlines: apply by 15 December 2023 (priority deadline) or at the latest, by 15 January 2024. AU EGLS applicants must opt for Regular Decision for the fall (August) 2023 term and should refrain from applying through Early Decision (ED).
American University Application Guidelines
To ensure you have the best possible chance of securing the AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship, follow these detailed application guidelines:
1. Prepare Your Academic Records
Begin by gathering your academic records, including transcripts, standardized test scores (if applicable), and any certificates or awards you’ve received. Make sure your GPA meets the minimum requirements.
2. Document Your Achievements and Challenges
Create a comprehensive list of your achievements, leadership experiences, volunteer work, and contributions to your community. Highlight any obstacles or challenges you’ve overcome, as this will be a crucial aspect of your application.
3. English Language Proficiency
If English is not your first language, ensure you meet the language proficiency requirements. Take the necessary language tests, such as TOEFL, IELTS, or others, and aim for scores that exceed the minimum thresholds.
4. Write a Stellar Personal Statement
Craft a compelling personal statement that outlines your passion for positive change, your dedication to your home country, and your commitment to leadership and community service. Be sure to illustrate how your experiences have shaped your goals.
5. Secure Strong Recommendations
Request letters of recommendation from individuals who can attest to your academic abilities, character, leadership potential, and commitment to social change. Choose recommenders who know you well and can provide specific examples of your achievements.
6. Complete the Application Form
Fill out the AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship application form with accuracy and attention to detail. Double-check all information, and make sure you meet the submission deadlines.
7. Choose the Right Application Platform
Decide whether you will use the Common Application or Coalition Application. Ensure that you follow the guidelines provided for international applicants.
8. International Admissions Process
Alongside your scholarship application, complete the international admissions process required by American University. This may include submitting additional documents, such as financial statements, passport copies, and visa-related materials. Be sure to meet all the necessary requirements for international students.
American University Submission Deadlines
Remember to adhere to the following submission deadlines:
- Priority Deadline: Submit your application by 15 December 2023 for the best chance of consideration.
- Final Deadline: If you cannot make the priority deadline, the final deadline is 15 January 2024.
Choosing Your Path
When applying for the AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship, opt for Regular Decision for the fall (August) 2023 term. Avoid applying through Early Decision (ED) to align with the scholarship requirements.
Don’t Miss Out on This Life-Changing Opportunity
The AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship offers a unique chance to not only receive a world-class education but also to make a lasting impact on your home country. By dedicating yourself to positive civic and social change, you can become a beacon of hope and transformation. Seize this opportunity to shape your future and the future of your community. Apply today, and let your journey as a change-maker begin
The AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship is a beacon of hope for international students with a strong commitment to effecting positive change in their home countries. This scholarship not only provides access to world-class education at American University but also empowers students to be catalysts for social and civic transformation. Don’t miss your chance to be part of this prestigious program; apply today and be the change you wish to see in the world.